Would you be interested to know more about something that may reduce your stress, lower your blood pressure and boost your immune system? These are just some of the benefits to practicing meditation and living a mindful life. In fact, more and more senior care facilities are offering classes in mindfulness and meditation as they have been cited as having big advantages for promoting good health.
Researchers have found that seniors who practiced meditation and yoga at least two hours a week had less atrophy in parts of the brain and better brain connectivity than those who didn’t. These results will have an impact on Alzheimer’s and Dementia care, with mindful practices being integrated with the hopes of slowing the progression of these diseases.
With so many positives coming to light on the benefits of seniors using meditation, let’s look at some of the top reasons why adults over 55 should seriously consider adding meditation to their life.
- Meditation makes your digestive system work better: Deep breathing used during meditation can improve circulation and blood oxygen enrichment which helps support the function of organs including the stomach and intestines.
- Meditation boosts your immune system: As we age, the immune system becomes more susceptible to illness and seniors have a harder time battling viruses – meditation could be your answer to warding off cold and flu season!
- Those who meditate notice a reduction in stress and depression: Seniors who enter a senior care facility or who have accepted home care professionals into their lives can often experience depression at their loss of independence. Taking time each day to meditate can reduce emotional distress.
- Meditation can improve your memory: Both memory storage hubs, the Hippo campus and frontal brain lobe, are stimulated during meditation. Why is this good for an aging senior? They will notice better long & short term memory including the ability to store new memories.
- Meditation sharpens the mind: Did you know that meditation is much more effective at improving and preserving brain function than doing crossword puzzles? Meditate your way to better focus, increased ability to function and more creativity.
If you are interested in learning more about incorporating meditation into your life, there are several options to explore.
- Reading one’s own faith based books like the bible, or similar books, can help calm the soul.
- Check out meditation apps like Headspace, Smiling Mind, Calm or Buddhify.
- Check your local parks and recreation programs or yoga studios for meditation classes.
- Do some research into mindful and meditation retreats happening around your area.
It is never too late to start meditating! Our Care Plans can include meditation on request. Contact iCare Home Health today and find out how we can help you locate resources to improve quality of life for your aging loved one or any other elderly health care needs. We offer elder care services in Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and the surrounding areas and offer programs such as Friend at Home, Personal Support at Home, and Nurse at Home packages.