Here is something to ponder as you spend your day with a poor diet, cigarettes and channel surfing.
Did you know that 6% of all deaths in Canada are due to strokeor that 50,000 Canadians die each year from strokes?
Someone has a stroke every 7 minutes…..those odds are frightening!
The Heart & Stroke Foundation statistics show that strokes cost the Canadian economy $3.6 billion annually!
What exactly is a stroke? A stroke happens when blood supply to the brain is cut off due to clogged arteries or a hemorrhage occurs in the brain. 80% of strokes are due to arterial blockage.
As much as we have all been brain washed to think cholesterol is the enemy it is in fact not the case. The more we reduce cholesterol the more the body makes naturally. The key is to consume healthy unsaturated fats like avocado, olive oil, flaxseed, nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts)and coldwater fish.
Signs of Stroke:
- Confusion/lack of understanding thoughts or trouble having a sensible conversation
- Weak muscles (also tingling of extremities or numbness)
- Facial paralysis (1 side drooping)
- Impaired speech
- Impaired vision (double vision/blurred vision/or complete loss of)
- Loss of balance
- Headache – usually very painful with accompanying nausea
- Loss of sensation on the skin
- Lack of reflexes (trouble swallowing)
We can avoid being in the 6% club by following these tips:
- Don’t SMOKE!
- Consume a whole foods diet as much as possible (fresh fruits/veggies/organic meats). Stay away from trans-fats in crackers, cookies, baked goods, fast food.
- Exercise regularly – get moving! Blood is stimulated by regular movement and breathing brings oxygen to our lungs and blood cells.
- Reduce stress as much as possible.
- Reduce alcohol – drink in moderation.
- Keep your sodium intake to not more than 1500 mg/daily. READ LABELS – be your own health control board! Too much dietary sodium causes an increase in blood pressure which creates a cycle of heart disease.
- Take an Arterial Cleansing formula supplement daily. A good formula will act to scrub away plaque from the arteries and should consist of multiple vitamins, minerals, amino acids and a glandular formula (to balance hormones). It helps to dissolve arterial fat, neutralizes free radicals that can cause cell damage, manufactures specific cells and antibodies that locate and destroy mutated cells before they can spread, increases the diameter of blood vessels (this is a good thing!), improves how well the blood flows and makes it less likely to clog, helps to normalize blood pressure, removes heavy metals from arterial plaque and finally helps to protect vital tissues from oxidative damage. Ask your health store to recommend a good product for you.
If you already have Atherosclerosis (narrowing of the arteries) you CAN reverse the damage and avoid being in the 6% club!