Therapeutic Recreation at Home
Therapeutic Recreation is a process that utilizes functional intervention, education, and recreational participation. It enables persons with physical, cognitive, emotional, and/or social limitations to acquire and/or maintain the skills, knowledge, and behaviours that will allow them to enjoy their leisure optimally, function independently with the least amount of assistance, and participate as fully as possible in society. Recreation therapy is provided by trained professionals in clinical and/or community settings. – Therapeutic Recreation Ontario.
This therapeutic method is offered by professionals who are trained, certified, registered, and/or licensed to provide recreation therapy.
To enhance the quality of life across five domains of human functionality (physical, emotional, cognitive, social, and spiritual).
Benefits of Therapeutic Recreation:
- 1:1 focused recreational activity.
- Improve cognitive and physical abilities.
- Self-esteem: Improve mood, reduce anxiety, increase confidence.
- Social skills: Encourage community involvement, interpersonal skills, and relationships.
- Mental health: Better handle social anxiety, depression, anger, and bipolar disorder.
- Life purpose: Ignite the passion to live life to its fullest.
Who Benefits from Therapeutic Recreation?
- Alzheimer and dementia sufferers.
- Stroke patients.
- Acquired brain injury survivors.
- People with mental health issues.
- People with Developmental and/or Physical Disabilities
Therapeutic Recreation Process:
- Conduct a ‘needs assessment’ to determine the intervention needed.
- Develop a trusting relationship with the client.
- Acquire an understanding of the client’s recreational interests and passions.
- Set realistic and achievable goals collaboratively.
- Document activities and measurable progress.
- Review activities against an intervention plan on an ongoing basis.