Losing your independence is never a fun process to have to go through. It gets really hard to admit that you need help after so many years of taking care of not only yourself, but of your kids as well. Some won’t even admit that they need help or that they even have a problem. It is imperative as their children to look for the warning signs that your parents need help.
There are many warning signs that you can look out for when it comes to your parents or an aging loved one.
- Food going bad that isn’t being thrown away
- Missing important appointments
- Trouble standing after being seated
- Unexplained bruising
- Being forgetful
- Trouble with walking, balance and all around mobility
- Uncertainty and confusion when performing tasks that were once familiar
- Unpleasant body odor
- The house has a strong smell of urine
- Grooming habits and personal care have declined
- Infrequency in showering and bathing
- A dirty house, dirty laundry piling up
- Overflowing mailbox and stacks of unopened mail
- Weight loss or a poor diet
- Frequent changes in mood or extreme mood swings
- Forgetting to take their medications
This is an important list of warnings to look out for. Your parents or aging loved ones could need help and if you notice any of these warnings then you should take notice and act. There are a few things that you could do to help the situation once it’s been recognized. The first thing is to call iCare in home health services. They have a great team that will send an in home living assistant to help with the day to day activities of your parents or loved ones. This way they can still stay at home and have the assistance they need while keeping their independence at the same time. This is a very important step because it can also help determine if they need to be placed in a home or not. They also have a great staff that will help to ease your parents or loved ones into the process by being so professional and comfortable that you would think they were part of the family. Give your parents or loved ones a helping hand and give iCare a call today.