If you are dealing with chronic illness, physical challenges or early stages of dementia, it can sometimes feel difficult to get excited about what lies ahead. In many cases, it may have been awhile since you’ve learned a new skill or participating in something that brings you happiness and joy. But it certainly doesn’t have to be that way! Thankfully just about everyone, even those who require live in care or the support of a health care agency, can benefit from participating in an expressive art program.
If you live in the Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, or Milton area, we invite you to learn more about iCare Home Health’s Expressive Art Program. You do not need to have any prior art experience, and the program can be facilitated on an individual or group basis. Art therapy offers many options such as painting, drawing, collage, and clay work, which means there is something to suit everyone’s interest.
Because art therapy programs can be personalized to meet the needs of each individual, adults suffering from any of the following conditions should consider incorporating expressive art into their health and wellness plan:
- Adults who live with physical challenges
- Adults overcoming loss or social withdrawal
- Adults living with chronic illness or disability
- Aging adults who are experiencing early stages of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease
Benefits of Expressive Art Therapy Programs
In addition to supporting medical and physical needs, live in care and health care agencies also strive to support the mental well-being of the patients they care for. Incorporating recreation therapy or expressive art and art therapy has been shown to produce the following benefits:
- Reduced anxiety and improvement in overall mental health
- Ability to release feelings and emotions with greater ease
- Ability to remain focused and practice fine motor skills
- Improved memory retention and cognitive abilities
- Improved communication and social skills
- Reduced physical inflammation and stiffness
- A sense of accomplishment and renewed self confidence
Expressive art activities promote active engagement. Those that participate in art activities experience life in a more positive, healthy, and fulfilling way.
Is Art Therapy Right For You?
It’s never too late to start expressing yourself through art creations. iCare Home Health’s Expressive Art Program (ICEAP) allows individuals to work with our artist-in-residence and explore their creativity while experiencing the many health benefits offered by art therapy. If you or your loved one live in the Mississauga, Oakville, or Milton area and are interested in learning more about art therapy, please contact iCare Home Health at (905) 491-6941 and find out how to get started.